My journey from despair to determination


  I had always believed that my dreams were within reach. With a camera in my hand and a heart full of passion, I set out to conquer the world of photography unknowingly to me that life had other plans for me. At 25, I was supposed to be finding my stride as a photographer, but instead, I found myself struggling to make ends meet. Freelance gigs were scarce, and the ones I did get barely paid enough to cover the bills. On top of it all, I was the sole caretaker for my aging mother, whose health was becoming more fragile by the day. The long hours spent editing photos and looking out for clients left me exhausted, both physically and emotionally. There were days when the weight of it all threatened to crush my spirit. I sometimes wondered if all my efforts were in vain, if my passion was just a foolish dream.

       One faithful day as I walked through a street in close proximity with mine with my camera over my shoulder, I stumbled upon an art gallery hosting an exhibition. I stepped inside hoping to find solace in the beauty of other creation. The walls were adorned with breathtaking photographs, each telling a unique story. I found myself drawn to a series capturing the raw emotion of everyday life. Lost in the images, i didn’t notice the artist whose work was being displayed standing beside me until he spoke. “Beautiful, isn’t it?” he said, his voice warm and full of understanding. I nodded with eyes still fixed on the photographs. “It’s… it’s incredible. I wish I could create something like this.” The artist smiled gently, asked what my name was which I responded to and then he replied “You can, Amina. All it takes is belief in yourself.” Those words echoed in my mind long after i left the gallery.

         Determined to find out, i threw myself into my work with renewed vigor. I spent every spare moment capturing the world through my lens, pouring my heart and soul into each photograph. Despite the late nights and the exhaustion, i felt a spark of hope igniting within me. Then, one day, an opportunity presented itself. A local magazine was looking for a photographer to cover a series on everyday heroes. Without hesitation, i submitted my portfolio even though my heart was pounding with excitement and fear and to my amazement, i got the job.

         The weeks that followed were a whirlwind of late-night shoots and early-morning edits. But with each click of my camera, i felt myself coming alive. I was no longer the struggling freelancer trying to make ends meet. I was a photographer, capturing the beauty and resilience of the human spirit. And as my photographs graced the pages of the magazine, i knew that i had found my calling. I had uprooted the storms of despair and doubt, emerging stronger and more determined than ever before.

        With the support of my mother and the encouragement of the renowned artist who had changed my life, i had transformed my despair into determination. And as i looked towards the future, i knew that the best was yet to come.


Comments